Monday, July 26, 2010

Monday and IL-2

Tony didn't sleep very well last night..of course they come to draw blood at 3 am and take vitals at 6 am. So he is sleeping now..WELL he WAS...they just came in to get his weight again. They started his PIC line this morning and he ate his breakfast. They will start the infusion about 2 or 2:30 today. One of the doctors on his team just visited to explain some info about IL-2 and have Tony sign some papers. The doctor explained that IL-2 will be given every 8 hrs, and Tony will start feeling tired and dizzy and just not good. His body will start to react after 2 or 3 infusions. His blood pressure will drop, his kidney function and liver function will start to fail some but they will monitor closely! He has his own care team and his nurse is just for him...no one else. When he needs something they should respond asap!
The doctor said his fluids will start to leak into his muscles and skin and he will swell. When that happens they give him meds (lasics?) to help him pee. His blood pressure will drop and when that happens they will move him to ICU. His team will follow him there and stay with him the whole time..even his nurse. Yaaay he is sleeping now! poor guy...phone is ringing and beeping. Anyone that really knows us knows that I have a problem with how he NEVER turns his phone down..not even a little! He might after trying to sleep over the next couple of days!!!lol
The doctor said that every single patient responds to IL-2 differently. he said of the thousands of people that have have IL-2 that about 10% of patients are cured. I cry whenever I hear that BUT 10 is better than 1 right? He is young and he is healthy and he really REALLY loves his life and our life together so I'm thinking everything will be ok! I'm NOT the kind of person that likes to get let down, I don't like to get my bubble busted at all so I'm just taking one day at a time and showing my husband how much I love him today and how much I am here for him...I'm NOT thinking about tom., or next week or next year..but today. Today I'm ok and am so thankful for my life with Tony...we have shared so much and been through sooooooo much together!
yaaay he is snoring now! awesome! I'm writing these because Tony asked me to and to keep our kids, family and super great friends involved.
A little Teri and Tony history here: I met Tony and he drank, he smoked and he lived hard...i asked him out (i thought he didn't drink anymore), a super long story later...i told him he had to stop drinking or find another woman..He KNEW I wasn't kidding, I'm a strong woman and not afraid to be alone! Do you know what happened then??? he drank the rest of the evening..aLOT but to my surprise..he checked himself into rehab the next day. He hasn't drank since and that was 11 years ago. He said he didn't want to lose me and would do everything he needed to make sure that didn't happen. I've never smoked..I'm allergic..he stopped smoking right before we got married..he knew I hated it. He used smokeless tobacco. When he found out he had cancer 3 yrs ago he stopped that too.. how awesome is that? Tony is strong and awesome...I just thought everyone should know how much.....

No comments:

Post a Comment