Sunday, November 7, 2010

Back to UC for another week...

This is our 4th Sunday in 3 months that we've waited by the phone for a phone call telling us what time to be on the Oncology floor. They call us when they have a bed ready. Thank goodness they really love us here on the 8th floor, they gave us the BIG room today with double doors, it makes for a very quiet night! We got off the elevator and walked down the long hallway to the nurses station, the 3 people waiting there said "Yaaay you made it", and "welcome back!" and "Where have you been!?" All of them have been Tonys nurses several times. We got in the room and they already had sheets and covers for MY bed and extra blankets for Tony because they know about the rigors that he gets so bad from the IL-2. They even had ice water and cups for us. The nurse even filled out all of the ridiculous paperwork and Tony just had to sign it. His blood pressure was good, kind of high which is an awesome way to start IL-2! He said it was was from riding with me all the way to the hospital. I told her she should check mine!! GEEESH Tony has been a maniac driver lately..I was holding on, with my eyes closed at a few different times! ANYWAY...We like this room because you can see the pilots faces driving the helicopters when they land on the roof right above us...it's kind of cool. A nice distraction. They did some blood test and the doctors came in to talk to us. New residents....they don't know too much about IL-2 at all but I guess they will soon enough..The Doctor was very soft spoken...can I say how much I love a sincere, soft spoken, nice doctor, I like it a lot! He even sat down on the couch with me and went over Tony's meds. Tony doesn't know what he takes sometimes..it's so confusing the generic names, the label names and the hospital names are ALL different for the same medication. I'm kind of an encyclopedia about stuff like that so they just talk to me. THEN the nurse comes in with Tony's Tylenol for his back pain and I saw the bottles of brown liquid..oh no!!! I heard that music in my head when you see something dreaded and bad!! It was Kaexelate, his potassium is too high (caused from adrenal dysfunction or kidney problems, he has both) this medication will bring it down BUT he will be running to the bathroom as fast as possible for a couple days! He might not even make it sometimes, this stuff SUCKS (BAD)! THIS is why I remembered to bring the soft toilet paper! (2 rolls in my bag)
I saw the 2 bottles in the nurses hand and was waiting for Tony's response....yep, it was just as I imagined. SHIT he said and went into grumpy mode for a few! BUT he just saw a great pass on the football game and it took his mind off of things for a bit! Thank goodness! Now he is getting hot so I have to go adjust the thermostat and his covers. I'm getting sleeeepy!
Dear Heavenly Father, please watch over Tony as he begins his week of IL-2, this is the worst thing I have ever seen anyone go through and it beaks my heart but I know this is healing, and this is your will. Thank you so much for giving me this past week to enjoy my husband, my friends and family..we needed this break. Give Tony the strength to endure another week of treatment and let me find the strength to offer myself in anyway possible for him and be patient and loving when I'm too tired to do so. Please wrap your arms around him and keep him as comfortable and warm as he can be. Guide the doctors and nurses as they care for Tony this week. Let us rest peacefully tonight to prepare for the rest of the week...Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment