Monday, August 16, 2010

HOME SWEET HOME

This was a long overnight period. I think they gave us 2 nurses and were waiting behind the curtains with candid camera. They turned on full bright lights EVERY TIME they came in. They woke us up and turned them on to give him Tylenol....really? It was never ending....For the love of God..LET US SLEEP. Our wonderful morning nurse Jessica told them we gotta get going asap! So we were out of there very quickly. Doc said to Tony "you just saw me today..don't come in tom. come in next week! yaaaay! Tony walked right into the house and laid right down on the couch at 11:30, I didn't see his eyes again until maybe 5pm. He feels very bad right now, still itchy, a little nauseous and he said "just sick" cold/hot. Skin is peeling. I helped make him an Aveeno bath and rubbed it on his back. I put powder under his arms..they look like they have been sunburned from the inside out bad and are peeling terribly. His collarbone feels like he's been beat up or ran over. In general..he just feels like shit. I woke up feeling like I was getting a cold and I can't think straight I'm so tired. I wrote a check at my Dr. today and ask what the date was..she said the 16th.......hmmmmmm I said ummmmmmmm what month? and I was serious. I can't think when my brain is overloaded AND I'm lacking good sleep. wow I felt dumb. I made Tony some soup and went and took a shower..when I got out I had a text that said "more please?" hahahahhahaa Tony didn't get his fill I guess.
I'm not sure if everyone knows this but Tony has been diagnosed with Metastatic disease. From what I understand, His first renal cell carcinoma was not all removed, not all of the cells. The cells traveled from his right kidney site through fatty and fibrous tissue through his body and eventually ONE of the cancer cells started growing in his Adrenal Gland. The doctor says when that happens its called Metastatic disease and there are and will be more cancer cells grow, eventually. The tumor is far away from the first tumor, that's important. If the IL-2 works it will stop the growth or slow the growth. We are hoping for the best but there are several medications (Sutent & Avastin) that can do wonders for kidney cancer right now as well, and they are studying stem cell transplants. It works better with lots of siblings! More chances for a match. I will make sure we weigh all of the best options if we have to do that. Metastatic is a word you NEVER want to hear...ever. But you know what???? Tony was joking with me today when I was giving him his injection, I'm so much better at it than the nurses he says! He was funny a few times tonight. He hugged me tight and told me he couldn't have done it without me...none of it. So TODAY we are awesome, we are home, we are in our bed, and watching Jay Leno, and Tony will get better all week..I need to sleep...hopefully better blog tom. and the next day and the next :)

2 comments:

  1. you both are very brave and it makes me sad and happy at the same time to see this. I wish there were more Teri's in this world, love ya!

    ReplyDelete