Friday, October 29, 2010

Today...I could have done without!

I don't even know where to begin. Overnight neither of us got any sleep. I was checking my freaking Frontierville at 5 am and hadn't been to sleep yet. Tony was itching and scratching and tossing all over. Then the maniac nurse got here at 7am. I don't think I have ever met someone so OCD. We had finally fell asleep and she came in throwing stuff away, rearranging "our" stuff, moved around all 6 IV bags, I don't even know, she was just a crazed mad woman! Everything she did she explained and repeated twice at least..I'm tired and sleep deprived..just do your thing and leave please. Oh and she slammed the door shut every time she came in or out. I mean this is our 21st day here for the IL-2 process..and we know what to expect, what is going on, what time the freaking cafe closes, and what we have to do..
He did not get his morning IL-2 but was scheduled for his 2:30 dose. I had to tell the nurse that she needed to do checks and vitals and let the "Fellow" Dr. know by one or one thirty. She said she thought they were skipping that dose...ummmmm
Then the pharmacy that mixes the chemo was delayed so it was NOT delivered to Tony's room until 3:35. This delay is big deal because his last dose he can get this week is tonight at 10:30. They do not deviate from the every 8 hr protocol at all. SO now Tony has to recover and be able to tolerate his LAST dose for the week. They decide this by 9. No matter what time he got his last dose. Of course he can't recover in 5.5 hrs. We were both upset, his doctor was upset, everyone was upset. We had 4 visitors in our room to discuss this incident....I'm NOT finished with that. The pharmacy mgr still wants to chat. So do I. I told them EVERYONE else is looking in from the outside but this is OUR life..this is MY husband and the last dose could have saved his life! Nope..I'm not done with that!
I went downstairs and got us an early dinner because we knew he would be getting rigors and nauseous soon and he was hungry. Cafe takes an hour to deliver tray so I went myself and bought us dinner.
Yaaay the blood slinging nurse from last night was going to be our nurse tonight too but she is really awesome! The bitchy nurse came back in for something??? who knows but she was writing stuff for 20 minutes. weird!
Tony started getting cold which means rigors are coming...he ask for Demerol. It helped some but 2 hrs later he kept asking for more covers...I think I had 4 on him...I asked the nurse for warmed blankets..I piled 2 more on him and he was still cold..he started shaking AGAIN. I went and asked the nurse for more Demerol. I heard her on the phone..by the time she came back he was shaking so bad, asking if I would please help, I turned on the heat lamp, put ALL the covers on and I was crying with my hand on his chest praying to God to ease his suffering...she came and said the Dr. said to keep him warm and they can't give him more meds for 2 hrs...... UMMMMM (breathe) I thought about this for a minute with tears dripping off of my chin (breathe)and knew I had to keep my cool or I would be kicked out of ICU. Keep in mind this nurse LOVES us and thinks we are great. So I calmly..OH SO CALMLY said through my tears...and teeth.."please call him back and ask him to come watch my husband suffer with ME because NO ONE could just sit here and watch this, PLEASE" So she did just that..she brought in half a regular dose. By the time she came back, I had grabbed Tonys cross and prayed more with him. Tonys lips were blue, his hands were so tight he couldn't move them, he was so thirsty and was breathing heavy. He tensed up so bad he thinks he pulled a muscle in his shoulder. The demerol worked within 3 minutes. BUT the damage was done, I massaged his shoulder with Eucerin until it felt better, had the nurse take his temp. It was 102. NOW he keeps drinking water..tons of it. He isn't supposed to but he can't stop. He kept saying "I'm so sorry" to me...I said for what, he says he doesn't like scarring me, he doesn't like me being sad, and he kept saying "thank you so much" NOW they are giving his lasiks so he can urinate because of all of the swelling and fluid accumulating in his body. shewwwwwww WHAT A DAY! We don't have to do this again until the week of 10-7. Until then it is rest and recovery.
Dear Heavenly Father Thank you so much for easing Tonys suffering tonight and providing him with some comfort in his time of need and please let him find solace and peace in our home this week to help him recover quickly and enjoy some of his week, thank you so much in holding my tongue when I could have really caused some damage today..give me strength........Please watch over and comfort my mom, Leigh and Allen, Aunt Martha, and Uncle Bosco. I do ask this in your loving awesome name...Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment