Thursday, November 11, 2010

One of the worst days of my life....

Below is a definition of Synovitis, which is probably the cause of all of Tonys pain today, He was in excruciating pain, worse than yesterday, worse than ever. They gave him Demerol (ALOT of Demerol), Oxycodone, Flexeril, Tylenol, Ativan, and some IV Benadryl. Everything they could to reduce his pain. They even got him a water flow heating pad for his shoulders. THEY COULD NOT GIVE HIM ANYTHING STRONGER BECAUSE THEY NEEDED HIS HEART TO CONTINUE BEATING AND HIS KIDNEY TO KEEP WORKING!! Then his hand started hurting and burning and tingling. I know this is NOT funny but he kept lifting his hand up and was just staring at it, turning it over and over...like he was on acid or something. He was so drugged I couldn't understand what he was trying to say for almost 12 hrs. Then his elbow started hurting, then the backs of his knees. It just wouldn't stop. I told him I needed a coffee and he begged me not to leave him...I went and got one in the ICU waiting room for one of the minutes that he was sleeping. He couldn't turn over, or even move. Everything he tried to do brought tears to his eyes and even more tears to mine. This is all from his 6:30am dose of IL-2. This was the norm for the day until almost 7pm. I finally snuck a nap in from 3:30-4:30 (thank you Jesus) I just sat back in my chair and slept...yeah I don't do that...ever.
We decided Tony should NOT have anymore IL-2 tonight...don't even ask the doctor. Neither of us can do this again right now, not tonight!!! Tom. he might get one more dose and that will be all. He will be finished! The synovitis gets worse with every dose...I will try to rest tonight...Tony is sleeping now. I have cried all that I can today...God give me and Tony strength to endure Tomorrow...please.
I have got to sleep...my mind is currently trying to erase the hell that we have been through today and I really do not want to ever re-live it...ever, please don't ask me to.
(All of the ill effects from IL-2 SHOULD be reversible once IL-2 is out of system. it can continue working in his body for a year.) PLEASE PRAY FOR US FRIDAY


Synovitis is a condition that develops when a joint lining (synovial lining) becomes irritated and inflamed. Each joint is enclosed in a capsule lined with membrane tissue known as the synovium or synovial membrane. The synovium secretes a lubricating fluid (synovial fluid) and is able to adapt to different motions of a joint by expanding and contracting. When the synovium becomes irritated, it increases fluid production, resulting in warmth, tenderness, and swelling in and around the joint.

Uric acid overproduction, as seen in gout, places individuals at an increased risk for synovitis. People at risk of uric acid overproduction include those with a history of leukemia, lymphoma, psoriasis, and those receiving chemotherapy. Alcohol consumption, chronic renal failure, and hypertension can lead to a decreased excretion of uric acid, which in turn can lead to uric acid accumulation and an increased risk of gout and associated synovitis.

No comments:

Post a Comment